Healing the soul isn’t quite like healing from an injury or sickness. Though healing the body and soul both require time and proper treatment, mending wounds of the heart can be much more difficult.
People suffer from a wide variety of wounds – physical, emotional, verbal, and sexual abuse; broken hearts from divorces or loss of a loved one, or other struggles like eating disorders, abandonment or neglect. Just as everyone’s life experience is different, the paths to healing can be varied.
These thoughts give insights to the healing process for those suffering on the inside, often in silence.
1. The pain won’t last forever. Hold on
2. Healing comes layer by layer
3. It’s OK if it takes time to heal
4. This is beautiful
5. Therapy lets you know you’re OK, but pushes you to change
6. Don’t discount others’ feelings or your own
7. You’re allowed to take time
8. You can be a light to others and help them heal
9. Let yourself feel the pain so you can heal it
10. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like progress, but it is
11. Surround yourself with those who will gently wait with you
12. Don’t ever give up
13. You have to dig down deep to find where the pain started
14. Never be ashamed of your story; it will give others strength
15. Healing doesn’t undo the past, but it stops the past from hurting
16. Set your emotions free
17. Find someone who will really listen
18. Healing is often scary
19. We need to help each other, life those around us
20. Replace shame with love
21. When you can’t understand, let it go
22. We find our strength when we have to use it
23. We always have hope
24. Don’t expect the healing process for one person to be the same for another
25. Our key to healing is sometimes helping others heal
No matter what you’ve been through, no matter the size of your wound, you can heal. This doesn’t mean you have to do it alone. There are professionals with skills to promote healing, friends and family who can help lift and carry you, and you can pray for help and guidance. You are never alone. Healing will come. Be patient with yourself and your healing process. It won’t come all at once. You have to give yourself permission to take time. Be gentle with yourself.